The following motor vehicles are exempt from the provisions of this chapter:
(1) motor vehicles owned and operated by the Government of American Samoa or the Government of the United States;
(2) motor vehicles validly licensed in any state, except that they are exempt only for a period not to exceed the expiration date of such license or the period specified in 22.1004, whichever comes first, and except that such vehicles must comply with the requirements of paragraphs (b) (2) through (b) (4) of 22.1002, pertaining to inspection, insurance and registration, before such vehicle may be operated on any highway in American Samoa;
(3) motor vehicles owned by or in custody of licensed dealers or importers, while being transported from the point of entry to American Samoa to the premises of the dealer or importer;
(4) motor vehicles being operated to or from vehicle inspection stations for the purposes of obtaining a motor vehicle license as required by this chapter, except that such vehicles must comply with the requirements of paragraph (b)(3) of 22.1002, pertaining to insurance, before such vehicle may be operated on any highway in American Samoa.
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (1), all vehicles owned or operated by the American Samoa Government must be identified with the appropriate government branch or department tags.History: 1972, PL 12-65 § 1; amd 1994, PL 23-12.